A Kenyan security guard who collapsed while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials told CNN.
His employer informed the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njue Kibue had fallen from the 8th floor of the stadium while working, his sister Ann Wanjiru said.
“We don’t have the money to convict him, but we want to know what happened,” he told CNN.
A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Hamad General Hospital in Doha. According to the document he had “severe head injuries, facial fractures and pelvic fractures.”
In a statement, the organizers of the World Cup – the Central Committee for Transmission and Heritage – announced the death of Kibue.
“We are sorry to announce that, despite the efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Sunday 13th December, after spending three days in intensive care,” said the story.
“His next of kin have been informed. We send our deepest condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.
Earlier this week, the committee said that Kibue fell ill while on duty.
“Qatar’s tournament organizers are investigating the circumstances leading to the collapse as it is an emergency and will provide further information on the outcome of the investigation,” it said in a statement.
“We will also make sure that his family will receive all compensation and loans.”
He has been unconscious since Saturday and connected to a machine to help him breathe, according to his medical records. A family member was notified Monday morning of his death.
But the security guard’s family says his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, is not explaining how he fell or some of the circumstances surrounding his death.
“We want justice. We want to know why he died. They have not sent us any pictures to show where he fell or given us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.
CNN has contacted Al Sraiya Security Services for comment following the guard’s death and has not yet received a response.
In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it is aware of the matter and is “conducting the necessary consular assistance while awaiting official information from the Central Committee of Qatar and the relevant authorities.”
The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar in November for a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services.
A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for donations.
“He came here to support his family back home but unfortunately his dreams ended today,” read one excerpt. “Something must be done for our dear friend.”
He is the second migrant worker to have died since the start of the tournament in the Gulf nation after another died in an accident at a venue used by Saudi Arabia in group stages.